Monday, September 21, 2009

What have you been reading?

OK- now that the school year has begun to roll along, what are you reading?

Here's what I've been reading so far this school year:

1. Lily B. on the Brink of Cool by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel, grade 7, 8, realistic fiction
Funny, funny, funny! Girls will especially identify with Lily B! This book is the first in a series.

2. Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen (sequel to Touching Spirit Bear), grade 7, 8 realistic fiction
If you loved Touching Spirit Bear, you will enjoy this sequel.

3. Inside Out by Terry Trueman, gr. 8, realistic fiction
A quick, intense story about making the right decisions.

4. A Traitor Among Us by Elizabeth Van Steenwyk, grade 6-8, historical fiction
Durng WWII, who is the traitor in Pieter's village?

5. Mudshark by Gary Paulsen, grade 6, realistic fiction
A brand new book that will leave you laughing and puzzling over the mysteries along with Mudshark.

6. Tiger, Tiger by Lynn Reid Banks, grade 6-8, historical fiction
Two tiger cub brothers are separated in ancient Rome. One leads the pampered life of the Emperor's daughter and the other must perform at the Coliseum. Will they ever be reunited?

7. The Not Just Anybody Family by Betsy Byars, grade 6, realistic fiction
The hijinks of the Blossom family are described here.

8. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, grade 8, science fiction
The long-awaited sequel to The Hunger Games! Exciting and action-packed.

9. Kathryn, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman, grade 6-8, historical fiction
A teen's life in England in the year 1290 as she tries to avoid acting ladylike, sewing and possible suitors.

10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney, grade 6-8, realistic fiction
Greg Heffley is back in all his wimpy glory with a summer of hanging poolside trying to look cool, avoiding Fregley and having other laugh out loud adventures!

11. Season of Gifts by Richard Peck, grade 6-8, historical fiction
Grandma Dowdel is back and she is still packing heat at 90. Should her new neighbors be scared, or glad to have her next door?

12. A Company of Fools by Deborah Ellis, grade 6-8, historical fiction
The year is 1348 in France. Henri is not prepared for Micah's arrival, the orphan with the angelic voice. He's also not prepared for the plague that sweeps through Europe which brings death and destruction.

13. The Falconer's Knot by Mary Hoffman, grade 8, historical fiction
Chiara and Silvano, two teenagers sent away from home are drawn together and try to solve a string of murders before the murderer stikes again. This book takes place in Renaissance Italy.

14. The Humming of Numbers by Jodi Sensel, grade 8, historical fiction
Aiden is curious about the woman brought to the monastery, accused of witchcraft. Just exactly who is she?

15. Newes from the Dead by Mary Hooper, grade 8, historical fiction
Mary Hooper is hung for infanticide and survives!

16. Kidnapped, Book 1: Abduction by Gordan Korman, grade 6-8, realistic fiction
When Aiden's younger sister Meg is kidnapped, can he help assist the FBI to bring her home?

17. Incantation by Alice Hoffman, grade 8, historical fiction
What life was like during the Spanish Inquisition for one family who hid their Jewish heritage for fear of death.

18. The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer, grade 8, dystopia
How the world falls apart when an asteroid knocks the moon out of place.

What book are you buried in and how are you enjoying it? I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

-Ms. Ekstrom

14 comments:

Mrs. Hardy said...

I just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn during silent reading. I have been meaning to read this book for years and I'm glad I finally cracked it. For historical fiction set before World War I, it has a very modern feel to it. The narrator and her family, and even her whole neighborhood, are dealing with poverty, violence, and alcoholism without any of the safety nets that can help kids today. The book rings true, but it is not depressing. I recommend it, especially to eighth graders, since it fits into their social studies time line.

Josh said...

Hi Miss E.
I had you for library today. I checked out the book Tangerine. It is pretty interesting so far and was wondering have you read it?

Ms. Ekstrom said...

Hi Josh,

Yes, I have read Tangerine by Edward Bloor. It is a great mystery and I hope you'll like it too. It is a favorite for many students. As you know, it involves soccer, but you don't have to like soccer to enjoy it!

-Ms. Ekstrom

Will said...

Hi, I have been reading the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Although its a little childish, its actually really great. It has about 24 books spread out in 3 mini series. They all connect though, its like life. Its ongoing with diffrent stories. I know, I should never write poetry. Well, give the Warriors a try with the first book Into the Wild, where you follow a young house cat in his journey into becoming a hunter, fighter, and most of all Warrior!

Kimmi said...

The Maximum Ride books are amazing.
Currently, I am on the fourth book.
they just keep getting better! After searching for Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports, the fourth book, all summer long I was so excited to know that our library has the series. Just for people who haven't read this book yet, It's really good and for all ages and pretty much all tastes.

Jake said...

One of THE best series I've read is The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Series by Michelle Paver. I'm still waiting on the 6th book in that series to come out.

Anonymous said...

I read Princess Ben and it was great. It's about a girl who's parents are killed and she is now being raised by her aunt, Queen Sophia, who is bent on turning her into a true princess. But what happens when she learns about a secret room in the castle?
This book is filled with adventure, romance, magic, and surprises. It's a great book.

Anonymous said...

All those books sound really great. I can't wait to read them! I recommend a book I just finished called Uglies by Scott Westerfeld It's now one of my favorite books! I can't wait to read the others in the series!

Anonymous said...

Those all sound like really good books. I recommend a book I just finished called Uglies. It's the first book in a series. All Tally wants to do is become pretty with her friend Peris on her 16 birthday. But you turn pretty when your’e 16 and her best friend Peris is 3 months older than her. When she's waiting around for her to turn pretty, she meets Shay, who tells her about this place called the Smoke. It's super exciting!

Sarah said...

I’m currently reading Annie, Between The States by L.M Elliot. Its a historical fiction/romance that takes place during the Civil War. Its about a confederate girl who falls for a Union soldier who has a soft side for poetry. Elliot definitely did her research because the historical detail is fantastic. The writing is also very well done. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in this time period, and anyone who likes a good love story. I am also reading Skin Deep by E.M Crane. I usually am not a big realistic fiction fan, but I am immensely enjoying this book. It is about a sixteen year old girl who goes through life as an outsider when she connects with her odd neighbor and discovers things about life that she never knew before. The writing is very good and it’s a very heartfelt book. I also recommend the Luxe series to anyone who is interested in high life in 1899, especially girls because most of the main characters are female and I had a friend, who is male, who read it and said he really couldn’t connect to the stories.

Shannon said...

I am currently reading Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron. It starts out sad because Dewey is found inside the Spencer Public Library's own drop box. If you like a good true story that is uplifting, I recommend reading this book. I'm not even done with yet and it's so good.I also recommend for all 8th graders Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko. 6th & 7th graders haven't read the 1st book, Al Capone Does My Shirts, but you read it in 7th grade. There was a huge cliff hanger in the end of Al Capone Does My Shirts. It bugged me so much when we finished reading it in 7th grade. I wanted to know so badly what would happen next. I found out the answer by reading this book. I was so happy to hear Gennifer Choldenko wrote a sequel to Al Capone Does My Shirts. I bet she is trying to make the books a series because there was another cliff hanger at the end of Al Capone Shines My Shoes. One last thing... I cannot wait to be a library helper!!!

maddie H. said...

I just finished reading A Certain Strain of Peculiar. I loved this book. It was about a girl that didn't fit in at a regular school so moves out to Alabama and tries to figure out what she can do at a new school.

Tori F. said...

Right now I'm reading "The Name of This Book is Secret" by P. Bosch.It's very good so far, although it has a weird narrator its still very good. It's about a boy named Max-Ernest and a girl named Cass as they try to solve a mystery.

Emma L. said...

Right now im reading a book from the "Mates, Dates" series. The three girls in it are very fun to read about because it relates to real life.