Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summertime!

So, I hope you're able to read lots of book this summer! With all of our cloudy, rainy weather there has been plenty of time. I read some great young adult books this summer:

1. What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell, historical fiction, 8, National Book Award for 2009
Things are not what they seem in this book full of romance and mystery.

2. The Misfits by James Howe, realistic fiction, grade 7
Have you ever felt like there wasn't anyone in your corner?

3. Everest: Book 1: The Contest by Gordon Korman, adventure, grade 6-8
Kids battle it out to earn a spot on the elite climbing team to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

4. After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson, realistic fiction, grade 6, 7, Newbery Honor 2009
This is what real friendship is all about.

5. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson, dystopia, science fiction, grade 8
The future looks mighty scary when body parts can be preserved for months on end with "Biogel".

6. Daniel Half Human and the Good Nazi by David Chotjewitz, historical fiction, grade 8
In Germany during WWII, what does Daniel do when he suddenly learns he is half Jewish?

7. Hole in the Sky by Pete Hautman, dystopia, science fiction, grade 7, 8
People who have survived the deadly flu fear the Kinka, a new race of people who want to make new coverts.

8. Gilda Joyce and the Ghost Sonata by Jennifer Allison, mystery, grade 6, 7

9. Billie Standish Was Here by Nancy Crocker, historical fiction, grade 6, 7

10. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, survival, grade 6, 7

11. A Drowned Maiden’s Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz, historical fiction, grade 6, 7

12. The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas, fantasy, grade 6, 7

13. Things That Are by Andrew Clements, science fiction, grade 6-8

14. Into the Dark by Peter Abrahams, mystery, grade 6, 7

15. The Disappeared by Gloria Whelan, historical fiction, grade 8

16. One Handed Catch by MJ Auch, historical fiction, grade 6-8


I'd love to hear from you! What have you read? Feel free to post young adult books that you've enjoyed this summer on this blog!

-Ms. Ekstrom

9 comments:

Andrea FW said...

an't wait to check a few out of the library...been without a good book for 4 days. I am going crazy!

Ms. Ekstrom said...

Hi Andrea, Check out the Chick Lit post-those are two great books that I could not put down!

Ms. Bryda said...

Mrs. Ekstrom, I've read The Misfits, and I really liked it. I thought the main characters all had really different personalities that seemed real. The Adoration of Jenna Fox is on my list to read as well! Reading the blurb about it reminded me of a book I read where a girl's brain is put inside a monkey body after her own body is destroyed in a car accident.

One book I read this summer that I enjoyed was The Goats by Brock Cole. Two outcasts at summer camp are stranded on a deserted island, and they go on an adventure together. It was a quick, exciting read.

Ms. Ekstrom said...

Hi Ms. Bryda,

I think lots of teenagers and adults can relate to the characters in The Misfits. Who hasn't felt like an outcast at some point in their life? The Goats sounds like a great book! Too many books-not enough time!

You'll have to tell me more about the book about the girl with the brain of a monkey. It sounds like a dystopia our 8th graders might enjoy. -Ms. Ekstrom

Mrs. Magill said...

I read many books this summer. Big surprise for the reading teacher. My favorite and first summer read was Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins.Many students had recommended this book to me and they were all right. They said I would love it and I did. This would make for a great season of "Survivor!" I'm even considering using it as part of the 8th grade curriculum. Any thoughts?

Ms. Ekstrom said...

Hi Mrs. Magill,

Thank you for your comments!
Every 8th grade student who has read The Hunger Games has loved it-regardless if they enjoy the science fiction genre of not. I think this book is especially good for those readers who think they don't like to read. Let's talk more about this.

-Ms. Ekstrom

Ms. Bryda said...

Mrs. Magill, Hunger Games is one of my new favorites! I'm excited about the 2nd book. It just came out, and of course, Ms. Richtol already has her hands on a copy! Oh, and the book about the girl's brain in a monkey body is called Eva by Peter Dickinson.

Mrs. S. Johnson said...

I would encourage students to read books by Carl Hiaasen. This summer I read Scat and Hoot. They were fun stories about saving the environment. Another book would be Flush. We have all three in our AMS library. Let me know what you think after you read any of these.

Mrs. Svatek said...

Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf by Jennifer L. Holm ( a Newberry Honor winner)is a fun book about new-to-7th grade Ginny, her family and life at school. Ginny has a to-do list for seventh grade, which of course gets side-tracked by unexpected events. What I liked is that Ginny's story is told in a journal/scrapbook style of notes, lists, letters, grade reports, writing assignments and other "stuff" that gives a view of Ginny's day-to-day life as a middle school aged person.